boneless/fillet chicken or sirloin steak
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1-inch ginger, peeled and crushed
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. ground red chili (optional)
1 tsp. coriander, ground
2 tsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. lime/lemon juice
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup coconut milk
4 tbsp. crunchy peanut butter
1 tbsp. fish sauce (patis)
squeeze of lime/lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1. Trim any fat from chicken or beef and cut chicken into thin strips, about 3 inches long.
2. To make the marinade, combine all ingredients in a shallow dish and mix well. Add chicken or beef strips and turn in marinade until well coated. Cover with plastic and leave to marinate for at least 2 hours, or overnight in the refrigerator.
3. Remove meat and arrange on satay sticks.
4. Broil or grill satays for 8-10 minutes, turning and brushing occasionally with the marinade until cooked.
5. Meanwhile, to make the sauce. mix coconut milk with the peanut butter, fish sauce, and lemon/lime juice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes; season to taste.
6. Transfer sauce to a serving bowl and serve with the cooked satays.
Saturday, May 31, 2008