If you want to go oriental, you can try this tasty soup, taken from one of my reliable cook books. This is a light, refreshing clear soup of mushrooms, cucumber and small pieces of rice noodles, flavored with soy sauce and a touch of garlic. I have added celery, to give it a more crunchy taste.
200 gms. flat or open-cap mushrooms
1 pc. small cucumber
1 stalk celery, sliced (optional)
1 pc. medium onion, sliced
3 pcs. garlic cloves, sliced
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
100 g. chinese rice noodles
3/4 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1. Wash mushrooms, slice thinly and pat dry on paper towels.
2. Halve the cucumber lengthways. Scoop out the seeds using a teaspoon, and slice thinly.
3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan or wok.
4. Add onions and garlic and stir-fry until soft. Add mushrooms and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Stir in 4-5 cups water. Break noodles into short pieces and add to the soup. bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the cucumber slices, salt and soy sauce, let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
7. Serve in warmed bowls, distributing the noodles and vegetables evenly.